Monday, June 23, 2008

How Much Is Your Hiring Costing You

I wear glasses and have for many years. And like most, I tend to need an arm straightened or a screw tightened about every 6 months. The glasses I bought 2 years ago need adjustments every 3 months and I the place I have been shopping at for 15 years has always provided that service free of charge. About a year ago this company was bought by Pearle Vision and as per the norm they had some staff turnover.

Last visit, the chap helping me told me he would fix them at my own risk because my glasses were at least a year old. Okay, new company and maybe new policies. It took all of 6 seconds for him to adjust the arm and still a free service.

Driving home I thought about my experience and what if he would have done the following:

Ask my name and he would have seen that I have spent a fair amount of money for both my wife and I over the years for glasses, contacts and sunglasses.

Told me my last eye visit was three years ago and have I noticed if my vision has changed.

How is my supply of disposable contact lenses that I bought about a year ago.

Am I still wearing the same sunglasses I had bought a couple of years ago.


Would I like to see some new frames that came in recently.

There is a good chance this employee won’t be there the next time I need my glasses adjusted. Then again it’s very unlikely I will be returning. Now how much is that going to cost Pearle Vision? The money they invested in that employee, my future purchases and how many more customers did this employee turn off who won’t be returning?

BB for now

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I would also like to comment on Pearle Vision. I have slight problems with eyesight and decided to apply for help until it is too late. I went to Pearle Vision, a chain of eyeglasses stores, to buy eyeglasses for protection against computer. It is a great company. It is not only about the USA, the Pearle chain has about thousand of stores in Europe in such countries as the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Poland, Belgium and other. I learned about it from this great site www.pissedconsumer.com.