Sunday, June 1, 2008

Why Isn't My Newspaper Ad Working?

Most of my Saturday mornings is a carbon copy of the last one. I sit with my cup of coffee and flip through the paper. It usually takes about 15 minutes until I get to the last section that has the crossword puzzle where the rest of my morning is spent.

I am not one to sit and read every page because its not like there is anything of interest. Any real newsworthy stuff, I already know about. Maybe the odd entertainment tidbit and for the most part, I am checking out who is advertising in the paper for possible leads.

This week I noticed a change in an ad for laser eye surgery place. The ad is different and I took notice because I pass the clinic every day. I am also familiar with the clinic because I have placed some advertising with one of the doctors who has a separate office offering a different type of surgery at another location.

Their ad has changed from the usual who we are what we do and how long we have been doing this schlock, to an offer. The offer is, “no payments until 2009 for laser eye surgery”. Pardon the pun but the ad caught my eye. I have been considering the surgery and liked the offer. So I picked up the phone and called. All I heard was voice mail that they were open Monday to Friday, closed on the weekends and please leave a message.

This clinic has been a regular advertiser in the paper for the better part of two years and always had an ad in the paper on Saturdays. I wonder how many missed opportunities for the people who did like I, picked up the phone and instead of speaking to a live person just hung up on the voice mail message.

Does newspaper advertising work? Wrong question. How well is your newspaper advertising rep working for you?

BB for now

No comments: